On January 1st, 2018 Ontario will increase the age of protection to include all children under the age of 18 years. By increasing the age of protection, 16- and 17-year-olds who are in need of protection will be eligible for the full range of child protection services, which will give them a better opportunity to get the support they need, and have better outcomes as they transition to adulthood.
Following a presentation at the community services committee meeting earlier this month, council has approved the Ontario Early Years Child and Family Centre (OEYCFC) Plan. The plan builds on the Ontario Early Years Policy Framework and the Childcare Modernization Strategy, aiming for a system that is more integrated and accessible and that promotes a service-delivery model that strives to enhance programs and services. In February 2016, the Ministry of Education indicated it would be transforming the ministry-funded child and family programs to the new OEYCFC model to better coordinate services and make them easier and more convenient for children and families to navigate. OEYCFC will have three core services: engaging parents and caregivers, supporting early learning and development, and making connections for families. The county will be responsible for the systems management of the new OEYCFC starting in January, which includes oversight of funding and program accountability. Over the past year, the county has undertaken an assessment of services, data-collection and a service delivery review, which also includes meeting with parents/caregivers at a variety of program sites in Lanark County. As a result of this assessment, the county has determined service delivery of the OEYCFC can be achieved through an agreement with Children’s Resources on Wheels, which has delivered service in Lanark County for many years. During 2018, which will be a transition year, no significant change in service is expected. In addition, the Early Years Specialist position contract position will become a permanent position supporting the early years programs, and a Data Analysis Services position will be filled on a one -year contract basis in January, which will support planning and research. For more information, contact Mary Lou White, Children’s Services Manager, at 1-888-9-LANARK, ext. 2301.
The full plan can be viewed here: OEYCFC Service Plan 2017
February 2, 2017
- Funding for the various free after-school programs is threatened
- We will be collecting information various programs in Lanark County that help people on lower incomes, and will be reaching out to the Perth Community Foundation who are undertaking a Vitality Indicators project.
- The Community Asset Mapping will be considering institutional (formal), associational (informal), and personal relationships and assets. Register and be part of the day on March 1st!
- The LCPC delegation to the ARC#4 was really well received, and Kevin and Fraser made a great presentation. Next dates include the February 15 staff report and recommendations to Board of Trustees; Feb 22 – Board of Trustees meeting; March 2 – delegations to Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees (schools that remain on the list after the staff report ); March 23 – special meeting Board of Trustees to make final decision
January 5, 2017
- The Poverty issue, especially as it relates to Basic Income, is very passionately supported by members of LCPC, and we would really like to see the working group reactivated.
- We will send a letter to Accommodation Review Committee re UCDSB school closures and will ask to appear as a delegation at the Jan. 30 public meeting. Erin, Kara, Fraser, Kevin and Jane will work on the presentation
- We have the opportunity to create our own future for the Planning Council and need to take the time, with all partners in attendance, to plan forward.
- The Community Issue Working Group has been really busy, working on TRC, school closures, basic income, and anti-racism anti-oppression
- Jane and Erin do a lot of work!
- If anyone is interested in office/program space in Smiths Falls, others are also looking and would like to explore shared space. Please contact Kevin Clouthier (email@example.com ) if you would like to plan in partnership with others.