Key Messages October 5, 2017
- The new Smiths Falls Youth Campus, a partnership between YAK, BBBS and Town of SF, is a positive evolvement
- A letter advocating for secure, non-competitive funding for Youth Programming Coalition will be sent to Lanark County by the Co-Chairs
- The Resiliency survey results from CDSBEO were very interesting, and there may be opportunities for us to work collectively on the same “red flags”
- The future funding for Planning Council looks a little brighter with the circulation of a funding template by MCYS, as well as opportunities the Stewardship has highlighted
- We are pleased to welcome Dave Balfour, representing the UCDSB, to the planning table. New Superintendents (replacing Susan Edwards who has retired) include Ron Ferguson and Jody Barrett
- Members are glad that updates are scheduled at beginning of meeting – good chance to build relationships and learn from each other
Key Messages September 7, 2017
- Community family centered practice and coordinated service planning for families will be the topic of a joint LCPC/EKIOC (Lanark/Leeds-Grenville planning tables) session on January 18
- Indigenous youth in Care has been undertaken as a community issue, and a forum is being planned. There is also a Tri-County approach possible with group-home operators invited to participate in a future plan.
- Emily Cassell, our Data Analysis Coordinator, will be finished at CROW at the end of Dec., continuing with Lanark County in January
- The Vital Signs report process has been finding trends we want to track over year
Key Messages June 1, 2017
- The data collection has commenced for the Lanark County Vital Signs report. Please complete the survey (https://questionnaire.simplesurvey.com/s/VitalSignsLanarkCountyCommunityWellBeingSurvey), help spread the information, and consider hosting a consultation
- Lanark County Ontario Works has received Provincial recognition for the in-house addictions counselling program they have developed. Kudos to Tammy Kealy-Donaldson and her staff
- The LLG Health Unit is proud of the partnership with CDSBEO and UCDSB resulting in all schools purchasing Naloxone kits to have on site in case of opioid overdose, and all school staff being trained on how to recognize overdose and administer the life-saving drug.
- Superintendents Donaleen Hawes and Bonnie Norton from the CDSBEO attended and explained the Pupil Accommodation Review process that was conducted this year, resulting in the consolidation of students into a new school in Smiths Falls
- Trustee Donald Cram attended from UCDSB and provided some great information on how we can assist in the long term plan for Lanark schools
Key Messages May 4, 2017
- The future planning for LCPC was decided: We will continue as a Lanark oriented, action-based planning committee with the age restriction of 0-18 removed from our children, youth and families description; we will keep reaching out to neighbouring counties, and will encourage our members to share their tri-county work; we will look for joint training opportunities and common presentations with our Leeds-Grenville partners; we will have a formal review in 3 years
- A Financial Sustainability (for LCPC) ad-hoc committee has been struck with Donna, Kevin, Tracy, Mike and Jane volunteering
- We will advocate for a Poverty-Reduction Strategy presentation/meeting in eastern Ontario
- Anti-Racism, Anti-Oppression training is coming to Lanark County as a result of discussions starting at LCPC, and will be hosted by Interval House and the Situation Table. Mark your calendar for June 21/June 22.
- The information that Jane brought back from the Community Hubs Summit is very useful. Look for your Hub, or create a listing at communityhubsontario.ca
Key Messages Apr 6, 2017
- Check your organization/program listing on 211 for complete taxonomy, or contact Michel.[email protected] or 613-683-5400 x5508 for assistance
- Don’t forget to register for the planning day next Wednesday: https://planningforwardlcpc.eventbrite.ca (we need to give numbers to caterer on Monday)
- Please complete the pre-planning day survey, even if you can’t attend the planning day: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YFH8PC2
- The Vital Signs report will be great – “Go Team, Go”
- We need to stay on top of the pupil accommodation review, and will invite Susan Edwards and Donaleen Hawes to a future meeting to discuss Lanark County schools and community partnerships
- We have an emerging issue of northern indigenous kids being placed in area group homes without culturally appropriate support services available – the community issues will consider the issue and report back
Key Messages Mar 2, 2017
- Planning Forward session, facilitated by Christine Peringer, is scheduled on April 12 from 9-1:00 with location tbd
- We will send a letter of thanks to UCDSB Trustees, and offer our support for work on Pupil Accommodation Review in coming year
- We want to be part of the Vital Signs Index being developed for Lanark County by Perth Community Foundation
- We previewed and the new video produced by Nature4Life endorsing outdoor play, and love the idea of the Map Sacks
- The work of the Transit Advisory Committee is timely and important, and we want to have some input via the reps chosen
- We will be inviting someone from 211 to come to LCPC to talk about their taxonomy
Key Messages Feb 2, 2017
- Funding for the various free after-school programs is threatened
- We will be collecting information various programs in Lanark County that help people on lower incomes, and will be reaching out to the Perth Community Foundation who are undertaking a Vitality Indicators project
- The Community Asset Mapping will be considering institutional (formal), associational (informal), and personal relationships and assets. Register and be part of the day on March 1st! https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-asset-mapping-in-lanark-county-becoming-community-navigators-tickets-30331002846?
- The LCPC delegation to the ARC#4 was really well received, and Kevin and Fraser made a great presentation. Next dates include the February 15 staff report and recommendations to Board of Trustees; Feb 22 – Board of Trustees meeting; March 2 – delegations to Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees (schools that remain on the list after the staff report ); March 23 – special meeting Board of Trustees to make final decision
Key Messages Jan 5, 2017
- The Poverty issue, especially as it relates to Basic Income, is very passionately supported by members of LCPC, and we would really like to see the working group reactivated.
- We will send a letter to Accommodation Review Committee re UCDSB school closures and will ask to appear as a delegation at the Jan. 30 public meeting. Erin, Kara, Fraser, Kevin and Jane will work on the presentation
- We have the opportunity to create our own future for the Planning Council and need to take the time, with all partners in attendance, to plan forward.
- The Community Issue Working Group has been really busy, working on TRC, school closures, basic income, and anti-racism anti-oppression
- Jane and Erin do a lot of work!
- If anyone is interested in office/program space in Smiths Falls, others are also looking and would like to explore shared space. Please contact Kevin Clouthier ([email protected] ) if you would like to plan in partnership with others.